On Sunday, November 1st, I will be participating in NaNoWriMo for the very first time.
For those of you who have never heard of it, NaNoWriMo is an annual event that takes place from November 1 to November 30. Those of us crazy enough to sign up are challenged to write 50,000 words during those 30 days. I just finished my first novel “Ice Debt” (Yeah Me!) and I want to keep up the momentum, so I’m going to use NaNoWriMo to write a new novel titled “Riot Girl”.
They say you need to prepare a few things before you start, so here is my 15 point check list:
1. A working Laptop – Check (I hope it stays that way)
2. Chips, chocolate and an assortment of junk food – Mostly Check
3. A post-it note reading: “You can do it!!” stuck to your computer – Check
4. A LOT of music organized into themes (like romantic, funny, war and instrumental) – Not yet (but this is great idea)
5. A note pad – Check
6. A handful of pens – Check
7. A big mug for Hot Chocolate –Check
8. A USB drive (or similar) to back up your work – I’m using DROPBOX for this & its great
9. The book titled, “No Plot? No Problem” – Check
10. A writing totem – Check
11. Asprin/Tylenol – Check
12. An outline for your NaNo Novel – Check (more info in week one recap)
13. A healthy stock of writing prompts to randomly insert in your story – I’m going to use Seventh Sanctum’s plot generators
14. The support of friends and family – Double Check
15. Joined a local group of folks participating in NaNoWriMo – Check
I think I’m on track to do this. Just a day and half left to go.
This post is sticky and will remain that the top of my blog until the end of November. I will keep you updated here as to my progress.
Riot Girl (a Novel) Soundtrack:
PS: I am not affiliated with any of these bands I just like their songs and think they fit in with the overall theme of this novel. The songs may change as the novel progresses.