Your privacy is critically important to me. I, Tina Hunter via TinaHunter.ca (hereafter referred to in plural or third person), have a few fundamental principles:
- We are thoughtful about the personal information we ask you to provide and the personal information that we collect about you through the operation of our services.
- We store personal information for only as long as we have a reason to keep it.
- We aim for full transparency on how we gather, use, and share your personal information.
What This Policy Covers
- Our website (namely TinaHunter.ca); and
- Other products and services that are available on or through our websites (including purchasing books and our newsletter).
Information We Collect
We only collect information about you if we have a reason to do so–for example, to provide our Services, to communicate with you, or to make our Services better. We collect information in three ways: if and when you provide information to us, automatically through operating our services, and from outside sources. Let’s go over the information that we collect.
Information You Provide to Us
It’s probably no surprise that we collect information that you provide to us. The amount and type of information depends on the context and how we use the information. Here are some examples:
- Basic Account Information: We ask for basic information from you when you sign up for our newsletter or to receive a free product. This is normally just your email address. That’s it. You may provide us with more information–like your name–but we don’t require that information when you sign up for the newsletter.
- Transaction and Billing Information: If you buy something from us–like a book- you will provide additional personal and payment information that is required to process the transaction and your payment, such as your name, credit card information, and contact information. *PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FUNCTIONALITY IS NOT YET APPLICABLE TO OUR WEBSITE AND IS HERE AS A PLACEHOLDER FOR FUTURE USE.
- Content Information: Depending on the Services you use, you may also provide us with information about you in the published content of a comment on this website. For example, if you comment on a blog post that includes biographic information about you, we will have that information, and so will anyone with access to the Internet. This might be obvious to you…but it’s not to everyone!
- Communications with Us (Hi There!): You may also provide us information when you respond to surveys, direct email through our contact form, or post a question or comment on our blog.
Information We Collect Automatically
We also collect some information automatically:
- Usage Information: We collect information about your usage of our Services. For example, we collect information about what happens when you use our Services (e.g., page views, button clicks) along with information about your device (e.g., mobile screen size, name of cellular network, and mobile device manufacturer). We use this information to, for example, provide our Services to you, as well as get insights on how people use our Services, so we can make our Services better.
- Location Information: We may determine the approximate location of your device from your IP address. We collect and use this information to, for example, calculate how many people visit our Services from certain geographic regions.
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We may also get information about you from other sources. For example, if you log in to place a comment through another service (like Google or Facebook), we will receive information from that service (such as your username, basic profile information) via the authorization procedures used by that service. The information we receive depends on which services you authorize and any options that are available. We may also get information from third party services about individuals who are not yet our users (…but we hope will be!), which we may use, for example, for marketing and advertising purposes.
How We Use Information
We use information about you as mentioned above and as follows:
- To provide our Services–for example, to sell you books;
- To monitor and analyze trends and better understand how users interact with our Services, which helps us improve our Services and make them easier to use;
- To monitor and protect the security of our Services, detect and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities, fight spam, and protect the rights and property of Tina Hunter;
- To communicate with you about offers and promotions offered by Tina Hunter and others we think will be of interest to you, solicit your feedback, or keep you up to date on Tina Hunter and our products; and
- To personalize your experience using our Services, provide content recommendations and serve relevant advertisements.
How We Share Information
We do not sell our users’ private personal information. We share information about you in the limited circumstances spelled out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
- As Required by Law: We may disclose information about you in response to a subpoena, court order, or other governmental request.
- To Protect Rights and Property: We may disclose information about you when we believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of Tina Hunter, third parties, or the public at large. For example, if we have a good faith belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury, we may disclose information related to the emergency without delay.
- With Your Consent: We may share and disclose information with your consent or at your direction. For example, we may share your information with third parties with which you authorize us to do so, such as a joint promotion with another author which you sign up to participate in.
Information Shared Publicly
Information that you choose to make public is–you guessed it–disclosed publicly. That means, of course, that information like your public profile, other content that you make public on our website, and your “likes” and comments on our website, are all available to others. Public information may also be indexed by search engines or used by third parties. Please keep all of this in mind when deciding what you would like to share.
While no online service is 100% secure, we work very hard to protect information about you against unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction, and take reasonable measures to do so.
You have several choices available when it comes to information about you:
- Limit the Information that You Provide: If you have an account with us, you can choose not to provide the optional account information, profile information, and transaction and billing information. Please keep in mind that if you do not provide this information, certain features of our Services–for example, purchasing books–may not be accessible.
- Opt-Out of Electronic Communications: You may opt out of receiving promotional messages from us. Just follow the instructions in those messages. If you opt out of promotional messages, we may still send you other messages, like those about your account if you have purchased a book from us.
- Set Your Browser to Reject Cookies: You can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies before using our website, with the drawback that certain features may not function properly without the aid of cookies.
Other Things You Should Know (Keep Reading!)
Tina Hunter is a Canadian website. By accessing or using the Services or otherwise providing information to us, you consent to the processing, transfer, and storage of information in and to Canada, which may have rights and protections that are different from those in your home country.
Your use of the Website grants you no right or license to reproduce or otherwise use any Tina Hunter’s trademarks, website content or written work.
Ads and Analytics Services Provided by Others
Content Posted on Other Websites
We have not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material made available through the websites and webpages to which we link, and that link to us. Tina Hunter does not have any control over those other websites and webpages and is not responsible for their contents or their use. By linking to another website or webpage, Tina Hunter does not represent or imply that it endorses such website or webpage. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. Tina Hunter disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from your use of Other websites and webpages.
under a Creative Commons Sharealike License. (https://automattic.com)